Real Estate Tips: Why you should Buy a Home or Condo Now
If you’re one of the majority of Canadians who are wondering whether this is the right time to buy a home, you may find that a great place to start is by weighing the ‘pros’ & ‘cons’. Think about the fantastic advantages of owning your own property. There's plenty of practical & financially sound reasons for purchasing a home in today’s market, whether you’re thinking of a condo, a duplex, a townhouse, or even a house:
- Walk on Your Own Two Feet - Home or Condo ownership is an excellent way to build equity. That’s an important consideration if you’re trying to build some financial stability – in the event you happen to be single & are doing it on one income.
- Appreciate Beating Inflation - Appreciation, although real estate moves in cycles, in Canada mostly up, rarely down, over the years, real estate has consistently appreciated in value. Many people view their home investment as a hedge against inflation. House prices tend to raise over time, so a house or condo is one of the best investments you can make.
- Have a Property Savings Account - There’s the security that comes with investing for the future. When you own your home or condo, you've a resource to fall back on, if hard times strikes.
- Don't Give Your Money Away to Strangers - Paying a mortgage off is usually better than “giving your money away to random strangers” for rent. You could be paying high rental prices for years, adding up to thousands of dollars that could be invested in yourself. You could end up with nothing that is yours.
- Don't get Held Hostage - Your rental costs can potentially increase significantly over time. Even a three or four percent annual increase can really add up, especially when you consider that it’s compounded year after year. This means that your landlord can hold you hostage depending on their financial needs. However, if you buy a home or condo and lock in a long term mortgage at today’s affordable rates, you’ll know exactly how much your payment will be for years to come. With condos you have maintenance fees but considering they can cover your hydro, property taxes, and other costs even the maintenance fees are reasonable over time.
- Dump all Dead Beat Roommates - Owning your own property gives you the option of earning extra income, by renting out a specific portion of the property or by taking in a roommate. That way they pay your rent and minimize the costs you have. Why not have them pay your mortgage and bills or better yet increase the amount of money on your principle and equity?
- Power of the Landlord - Property Ownership affords you an asset to borrow against if you ever need to. Even if your mortgage isn’t paid off, you can still borrow against the equity you’ve built up in your home – and often at far better interest rates than you’d normally get for almost any other type of personal loan. What happens if you get sick and have to take time off work. Will your landlord allow you borrow off of the investment you made in them? Or all the money you have paid them? Of course not, but owning your own property affords you this privilege.
- Show Some Style - You’ll be able to renovate any way you like, any time you like (without loud noises of course- no one wants a jack hammer going off in their head at 2am). And you’ll be able to tear out walls ( as long as they are not structural) and make any other improvements you want. Best of all, when you decide to sell your property, you’ll gain some of those costs of improvements back (if not profit from it), instead of your landlord.
- Buy Canadian - Property values tend to appreciate over time. Historically, real estate has proven to be one of the best returns on investment for Canadian consumers. And you’re enjoying your investment by living and profiting in it. You could invest in a savings account but the value of interest will mean very little rise in time. Want to make exponential profit? Invest in Canadian properties!
- Club the Taxman - You’ll pay less tax. You can deduct the interest you pay on your mortgage from your taxable income. Also there are many other tax benefits that you can have by being a property owner.
- Heighten Your Interest by Lowering It - Interest rates are still historically low. This makes it relatively inexpensive to take out a mortgage. The lower the interest rate, the less you actually pay for your house and the sooner you can pay the mortgage off. This means you win faster!
There are other exciting reasons to think about property ownership.
You’ll gain independence & pride of possession.
The feeling of satisfaction & accomplishment it gives is one of life’s great pleasures.
Do you need to know more about the advantages of home or condo ownership?
I am a leading ROYAL LEPAGE Real Estate professional with knowledge to share.
Why not call today or email?
If you are interested in what you should look for in a great Real estate Agent/Realtor/Sales Representative check out me detailed page here.
If you want to take a look at some of my recent featured listings click here.